West Avon Preserve
- Work continues in 2016 on this out-your-backdoor stacked loop trail network linking Avon, Wildridge, and Singletree communities. VVMBA will lead volunteer trail building days for continued maintenance on the PB&J and Saddle Ridge trails. Map of West Avon Preserve
- Additional improvements to the environmental sustainability and fun-factor of the Berry Creek trail in 2016 will include re-routes in the upper section and restoration of eroded double track in the Endo Alley area.
- VVMBA will consult with Town of Vail on upgrading the community’s Trails Master Plan to guide future network planning and building efforts.
- In October 2016, VVMBA and the Forest Service, with a huge helping hand from Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC) will do the second weekend of trailwork on the descent of Cougar Ridge Trail between Vail Resort and Lionshead to reduce erosion and improve the long term environmental sustainability and rideability of this great backcountry ride. The first large volunteer weekend was held in September of 2015 and was a huge success.
- Vail Resorts Epic Promise Day will once again bring over 300 volunteers to a local trail project. This September 17th, company volunteers will construct a .8 mile beginner hiking, biking, and dog walking loop starting at the Little Beach Park.
- VVMBA continues to support the community of Eagle-Vail in its bid to extend the popular Eagle-Vail Trail from Stone Creek and the bottom of Paulie’s Plunge Trail to connect with the bottom of Whiskey Creek Trail and the Meadow Mountain ranger station trailhead.
IMBA Ride Center
- VVMBA participates in the Vail Valley Trail Connection booster group to secure long term funding for trail construction and maintenance in the Vail Valley. In 2015 this group is exploring the potential of the Vail Valley to attain IMBA Ride Center Gold Medal status. This designation would officially recognize the Valley’s exceptional mountain biking opportunities, recreational diversity and world class lodging options for destination travelers, event promoters, and of course locals. This effort will serve as a catalyst for increased community focus on soft surface trails in the Valley and, if secured, Gold Medal status will provide tremendous exposure for the Valley as a premiere summer recreation destination.
- The Avon-Singletree Connector Trail (ASC) was completed in 2013. This VVMBA volunteer hand built trail not only provides an important singletrack link between two communities, but now serves as a primary access point to and connector between the trails in the West Avon Preserve.
- In 2014 VVMBA partnered in planning and construction of the West Avon Preserve Stacked Loop trail system – one of the most significant trail system initiatives in the history of the Vail Valley. This diverse and sustainable network of singletrack includes the VVMBA-lead, volunteer-hand-built singletrack trails of Saddle Ridge and Wyse Way and the Momentum Trail Concepts machine-built trails of Playground Way, Easy Loop, Wild West Ridge and local’s favorite flow trail Lee’s Way. Partners in this transformative project included the Town of Avon, Eagle County Open Space, Eagle Valley Land Trust, Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado, Vail Resorts and Momentum Trail Concepts. Together, over 10 miles of singletrack was constructed in a single season, creating an incredible new network of trails in the mid valley that are accessible earlier in the season than most others.